Dental Crowns and Bridges Pros and Cons
What is a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are an effective and versatile treatment option used to address a variety of dental issues. They are used to cap a tooth with a large filling or that has had root canal therapy, or for cosmetic purposes. They can also be used to attach to dental implants to replace missing teeth, as the implants provide extra support in the jawbone. Dental crowns also provide additional support for dental bridges, and when cared for properly, can be just as healthy and strong as natural teeth. While there are many benefits to getting a dental crown, it is important to consider the pros and cons before making a decision.
Pros of Dental Crowns
- Durability: Dental crowns are extremely durable and are designed to last for many years. They are made from a variety of materials, including porcelain, ceramic, and metal alloys, so they can be customized to match the color and shape of your existing teeth.
- Improved Appearance: Dental crowns can be used to improve the appearance of your smile. Crowns can be used to cover up discolored or misshapen teeth and can even be used to make your teeth appear straighter or more uniform in shape.
- Increased Strength: Dental crowns can be used to reinforce a tooth that has been weakened due to decay or trauma. The crowns act as an extra barrier to protect the tooth and prevent further damage.
Cons of Dental Crowns
- Cost: Dental crowns can be expensive and may not be covered by insurance. Depending on the type of crown you choose, the cost can range from several hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.
- Time: Getting a dental crown can be a lengthy process. It usually requires two or more visits to the dentist and can take up to two hours per visit. However, some dental offices are able to provide same-day crowns.
- Sensitivity: After getting a dental crown, some people may experience sensitivity in the area where the crown was placed. This sensitivity can last for a few days or even weeks and can be uncomfortable.
Dental crowns can be a great option for restoring and strengthening damaged teeth, as well as improving their appearance. However, they can be costly and involve a significant time commitment, and some people may experience sensitivity following the procedure. Before making a decision, it is essential to take into account all the pros and cons of getting a dental crown in order to determine if it is the right choice for you.Learn More About Dental Crowns